- Women's Tour 2017: London to host to final stage, with race to open in Daventry
- Track World Cup: Neah Evans finishes 11th, team pursuit fifth in Colombia
- Lance Armstrong: Banned cyclist faces November trial in £79m US lawsuit
- Angelique Kerber fails to overtake Serena Williams in world rankings
- Elina Svitolina beats Caroline Wozniacki to win Dubai Championships
Ukraine’s Elina Svitolina beat Caroline Wozniacki in straight sets to win the Dubai Championships and break into the world’s top 10 for the first time.
The 22-year-old beat Danish 10th seed Wozniacki 6-4 6-2 to claim her sixth WTA title and her second of 2017.
Svitolina beat top seed Angelique Kerber in the semi-finals.
“I dreamed all my life to be in the top 10, so it’s an amazing feeling to enter the top 10 by winning the tournament,” said Svitolina.
“I played some amazing tennis this week. It’s a first trophy for me in such a big tournament.”
Wozniacki, seeded 10th, won the Dubai title in 2011 and has reached the semi-finals in six of the seven years she has played at the event.
“It’s been a good two weeks for me, playing two finals,” said Wozniacki. “This is a good sign for the rest of the season.”